Audio Systems/Small audio.

What is the smallest speaker you've heard of? Any that are waterproof for underwater listening?

The speaker drivers inside your smartphone are very small.

There is no limit to how small they may become.  After all they are merely a specialized transducer element.  There are micro motors now that crawl inside a human blood vein listening for sounds of the lung, heart and blood circulating system.  These tiny microphones are just a reverse transduction of a speaker.

How small?  I can imagine the voice coil or electromechanical transducer can go as low as a few microns in size.  More practically speaking the speaker in a cell phone or smartphone is smaller that your fingernail.

Using them in Sonobouy applications is very attractive.

May I ask what your application is?  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers