Audio Systems/Digital optical cable

I have my ps3 connected to tv with a hdmi cable and the audio is connected to my surround system sony dav-dx255 with the multi cable now I want to connect my tv sony bravia to my surround system what do I do or what cables do I need?

First of all... if your Bravia has a digital output, it's going to be 2 channel stereo only. The digital outputs on televisions do not support 5.1 output (as of yet).

Which cable you need wholly depends on what output type the gear has - if it's an optical port, an optical digital audio cable is required. If the TV has an orange RCA connection for the digital output, you'll need a coxial digital audio cable (although, in many cases, ANY RCA to RCA cable will do the trick)

Don't concern yourself with which one sounds better... the signals are digital (1s and 0s). Think of it this way - it doesn't matter if an SOS is sent over a telegraph wire, or light flashes between ships. The message is still SOS. The same basic concept applies to digital audio carriers... the data is the same between the two (optical & coaxial), it is just sent in a different way - electrically or light pulses.

Go here and read about the two options:

Audio Systems

Wayne Tapia

Home Theater Audio Cabling (from HDMI to speaker cable). I WILL REJECT ALL CAR AUDIO QUESTIONS - I am not a car audio guy.

I am a Certified Audio Engineer that also works in the A/V cabling industry. I would like to dispel the myths and outright lies about the cables that connect your home theater systems together. Here's a hint - many of you have been misled out of hundreds of dollars for cabling systems.

Audio Recording Technology Institute Vancouver Film School

Post Magic Studios Khaos Studios Glass Forest Entertainment Funkbuddha Productions The Capital Playhouse Art In Music Global Music Project University of Washington Belle and Wissel