Audio Systems/home theater sound

Question
How can i improve the sound of my home theater sound. i am using a Marantz mm9000 preamp energy rear speakers and sub and Vienna center and front right and left. The system seem to me flat.

Answer
"Improving the sound" of your system could mean a lot of different things...what is pleasing to you is a wholly subjective experience, so it's tough for me to give a definitive answer.

With that said, here are some things to consider:

You may want to make sure your speakers are arranged (height, angle) properly for your room.

Look into some acoustic room treatments (some examples can be found here:http://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-panels/) This will help eliminate sound reflections that can cancel certain frequencies, which result in "bright" or "bassy" spots in the listening area (some could describe it a "flat" sounding as well). Here's more info: http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/HighSchool/Sound/interference.htm

Don't be afraid to utilize any equalization hat your preamp/receiver has available. A little "tuning" of your system to the space it's in can work wonders.

THINGS TO AVOID:

DO NOT try to "tune" your system by spending a lot on "audiophile" cabling. This is an incredibly slippery slope... there are MANY companies who would be perfectly happy to sell you a $1,000 per meter (or more) set of speaker cables that they bought from a Chinese distributor for $1 per meter, and then "dressed up". While quality interconnect & speaker cable is important, it isn't the end-all for your system, and it does not need to break the bank.

When tuning your system/room - be sure to listen to it at a decent volume level. At different volume levels, the human ear "hears" differently from a frequency perspective. This article can explain it a little better than I can: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fletcher–Munson_curves.
If you tune your room at a quiet volume level - where the "hearing curve" isn't very flat - you'll find it will sound VERY different when listening to something at volume.

I hope this helps you out a bit. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to hit me up.

Audio Systems

Wayne Tapia