Audio Systems/Muffled sound

Question
QUESTION: We have an older toshiba cinema series big screen tv.  We recently moved and when we seet up the tv the sound now is muffled and most of the sound is coming from the back instead of the front speakers, can you help us?

ANSWER: Yes, I can help you but not without the model number.  So, send that to me and we can talk some more.

Sounds like, according to your symptoms that you have lost the two front channel speakers. So, check the connections in the back of the set to see if something is amiss.

Worst case you may have lost the audio amplifiers driving the front speakers. If the set has two way speakers it may be just the high frequency speakers or amps have quit.  

So, there are many possibilities but we can narrow them down once I get the model number.  Every model has different technology in its manufacture.  That is why it is so important to know what you've got and how to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair.

Await your further information.

QUESTION: I checked all conn looks good model number 53AX61 manu june 2002

Answer
Thanks. This model has standard stereo sound reproduction electronics and dual channel 14 watt amplifiers.  It does not contain a subwoofer.

Thus, if you are getting low frequency sounds only it must be due to defective speaker units or amplifier; but that would not account for the sound coming from the rear of the unit - unless the speakers have become broken loose from their mounts inside the cabinet and have repositioned in some way.

If you know how to remove the back cover you might find from a visual investigation if something like that has happened.

Seems a look inside the cabinet might be worth proceeding with it.

If you decide to remove the cover and look around make sure you disconnect the power cord and leave the set for 24 hours with no power to allow the high voltage to discharge - this for your own safety.

Good Luck.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan