Audio Systems/stereo components

I've been researching for compatible components for a 12x12 area in my basement.I want to match up an am/fm receiver with a 5 cd changer and 2 small speakers.I'm having a problem with matching up power and capabilities between components and what are reliable manufacturers names out there.By the size area you can see I'll have this in,I won't need any powerful,yetI still want the quality sound shelf boomboxes can't deliver.
Thank you

Very sorry but I donot give equipment recommendations.  Why?  Because there are so many variables and subjective issues involved in the selection.  Such things as sound quality, aesthetic appearance and design are but two factors.  Cost, reliability, installation and operating parameters, features and flexibility of applications;  they are different for each model and even from similar models within a manufacturers catalog.

My suggestion is to take a couple of hours and go through the BestBuy, Costco, Crutchfield and other such suppliers and learn what they offer.  Select some that look good for your situation and make note of them.  Then when you have a few items under consideration read through some of the review comments that are online for that model.  

If you have a store nearby that has many of these models on display or in their demo room you can get some good reaction.  Sales staff in most audio departments are familiar with the pluses and minuses of a lot of products in the market place.

Educating yourself is the key.  So far as power you must consider the sensitivity of the speakers you are going for.  A low sensitivity speaker requires more power to get the same output.  For example if a speaker is rated at 88db it will take twice the power of a speaker rated at 91db to give the same output level.

You can learn alot by studying and applying basic ideas to hone in what you need.  If you purchase from a reputable supplier that has a good return or exchange policy it will help if you end up with something that didn't work out as you hoped for.

Hope this gets you on your way.  Wishing you the best.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers