Audio Systems/Subwoofer and Amp

I have a 10" kicker comp sub with a 500 watt kick amp and I have everything hooked up correctly and have good ground and power and it turns on and turns green and works for approximately two minutes then everything shuts off and doesn't turn back on till I re-attach the ground then I get the same results! Do you have any idea what my problem might be??

You say it is wired correctly but I am thinking there is a wiring problem!  Otherwise it would not go into protection mode.

Most common cause is short on speaker out wiring somewhere. Speaker wires touching due to strip too long at terminals at amp or speaker end. Pinched wires.  Wire insulation injured going through a hole in firewall, etc....

If you disconnect the speaker wires right at the output of the amp does it still shut down?  If it is ok with speaker disconnected then connect it again with either new wires or with rerun after checking every inch carefully....

Let me know more if that doesn't yield a solution.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers