Audio Systems/Weird Noises from Subwoofers Only

Thank you for your time in reading about my problem.
I have a Pioneer DEH-64BT head unit installed in a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge. (Extended cab)
I have installed 4 Pioneer speakers; 2 in the doors and 2 in the back above the rear seats where the stock OEM ones were previously installed. Currently the right front is not working.

In the back I have a BOSS Voltage capacitor (16 Farads), 2 Sony Xpold Amplifiers (1000 watt max each), each one individually bridged to 2 BOSS 2100 watt max subwoofers with separate enclosures.

Now the problems. I went to show a buddy of mine my set up, tilted a sub box backwards to display but accidentally hit the back if the seat where a metal child seat anchor point is and crossed the terminals of the sub. Subs stopped working. I checked the fuses if the amps, none of which were bad. Turned off the truck, restarted and through the subs I heard a what sounded like a heartbeat. Scared at this point I unplugged the RCA's and the noise stopped. With no music/the head unit turned off, there is alternator whine coming through the subs. Turn the unit on with the volume at 0 there is no noise. Volume at 1 or better the noise is back but dependent of the volume. Music will barely play out of the subs even turned all the way up. They seem like they are barely getting power. They used to hammer around volume 20 or higher. Also, as I mentioned before, the right front speaker does not play at all (not tied in to the amp system at all. All speakers except subs are run off the head unit.) I have checked for broken/missing ground, poor connections, and so on. Any suggestions? I will check anything twice.

The thumping noise sounds just like like a bad ground.
Check all of them and do not interface to any wires you 'think' are factory grounds. Run them all directly to the vehicle chassis.
I would run new speaker wire to the front right speaker.

That should clear things up.
If not, you may want to try new RCA cables as they can short to ground, too.

Audio Systems

Jerry Mael

My forte is audio.. Car/Home/Boat. You name it, I will help you even if it is just a link to more assistance. If you want to interface new gear to your factory radio I can do us both a favor and tell you to go to or call them at 1.800.555.7088. They really are top notch at doing that for people with great support. I will re-direct most questions of that nature to them. The rest of it... I am eager to help you with. I am also not a 'Master Installation Technician' that will tell you I cannot assist you with cars not made in the USA. Talk to me about any audio upgrades including 'bang for the buck'.
Specialties include: Overall Acoustics, Gain structure/settings and Enclosure design, system design/consultation, when/where to get which upgrades as well as other pertinent info for the mobile audio enthusiast and much more.
I also am NOT interested in buying your used gear so do not waste our time asking me.

My specialty as it is offered here, is Mobile and Home Audio Consultation.
Eight years IASCA - Pro 251-500 watt class
With Allexperts since 1999 (on and off).
35 years of overall professional sound and acoustical/electronic experience (since 1977) including: Sound Offs, Home audio, Mobile audio, Live sound, Churches, Theater, Live DJ and Studio Recording (analog and digital software and hardware), Effects, Looping, analog/digital mutli-track and mixdown . My mother was a record producer so I picked up a lot of additional professional knowledge and experience through the years. I was a Drum Tech for the Banshee reunion tour and toured as sound man with a regional act called Champion so I have practical knowledge for many aspects of audio.

If I cannot directly answer your question I will use my vast resource network to help you get a usable answer.

Favorite Mobile components:
Any amplifier based on ZED principles. Examples are Diamond, Zapco, Hifonics, Autotek, ect. And of course, Nakamichi (yes, still in business)
McCaulley, Polk and Dynaudio Speakers.
Clarion/Nakamichi headunits and processors.

>35 years of real world, audio experience.