Audio Systems/Amplifier connection query

I have DAV-D2390K Sony DVD home theatre system which I want to upgrade it.
I want to connect one extra yamaha woofer speaker yst-sw012 to the amplifier section.
The audio input to the amplifier is generally by computer only.
Please suggest.

With regards,

ANSWER: If you wish to substitute the yst-sw012  you may do so as well.

But, I understand you wish to connect the yst-sw012 sub in addition.  This sub is self-powered and takes a low-level signal whereas the home theatre system subwoofer outlet is speaker power to the subwoofer.  Therefore, you must add a "high-low converter" between the sub output and the yst-sw012 input.

The above is for stereo, but you would need only one channel for the sub.  You can find these at hi-fi shops and electronic supply houses.

The input to the converter comes from the back of the Sony sub, the output of the box is now a low lever signal for connecting to the  input of the Yamaha sub.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Thank you for your expert advice. I suppose this is a guidance rather than a answer which will surely help me to achieve my quest for music. As a layman I could understand that this configuration is possible.

Again I want to know, can an extra amplifier be connected to the  said home theatre system amplifier.

Please advice.

Thanking you,

With regards,

Yes, go ahead.  There are audio outs on your center unit that can be connected directly to the input of auxiliary amplifiers. You can connect as many as you want.

Sub output is different, however, because it has filter circuits involved, but for full-range audio it is directly connectable.  Go ahead and connect directly from output to input for standard available commercial home grade amplifiers and speaker systems.

Look at which has many connection systems; search within their web for connections that you want to learn about.

Best Regards,

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers