Audio Systems/Need a compact cd with good FM reception

Question

Needing to downsize my audio setup, I'm looking at the Sony CFDS50.  I plan to listen to the local jazz station, WBGO, and it has been very hard to get consistent reception in the past, even with my moderately priced JBL hardware.  I am looking for sound quality on a par with the Logitech S715i ipod dock that I got for digital music.  I've looked at ways to improve reception on boombox type units via antenna tweaks, but I'm wondering whether the solution might be a CCrane radio, with its good selectivity.  A cd player is not critical, since I can transfer my discs to my ipod, over time.

I hope you can help me better latch on to this fugitive signal.  Thanks for your attention.

Larry

Answer
WBGO is located in Newark, NJ and hence the signal may not be so strong where you are located.  And, I cannot guess what kind of building you are in and the surrounding environment which may be an impediment to a good signal where you are.

You may have to continue experimenting with various radios, antenna and location of the receiver (some times relocating the receiver only a few inches can make a big difference; and, sometimes moving objects in the room makes a similar difference in reception).

Some of the CCrane radio models are very good; some are not.  I don't have much experience with the various models so I cannot recommend one over the other.

There are two other options that you might consider:

ONE:  Computer listen or couple output of computer to amp/speaker.
TWO:  With smartphone or tablet, tune into the station using the iHeart app.  That is a terrific way to tune into hundreds of stations, not only WBGO.  I checked and as nearly as I can see, iHeart supports this station.

http://www.iheart.com

Hoping this will help.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan