Audio Systems/Reel to reel tape machine

Question
Hi, I've acquired an AKAI GX-4000D reel to reel that has an issue. When I plug it in and hit the power button, the VU meters light up, but the reels will not move. What I need is help getting the front plate off so that I can see what's going on in there. I believe the problem is mechanical.
The only downloadable manual I've found is a very blurry PDF version. This same version is on all 3 sites that I visited.
Thank you for your consideration.

Answer
Suggest you take a look at this youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHu76wU2VZw

which will show you how to remove the front panel to get into the works where you may explore around to see if you can tell what has gone wrong.

Chances are the idlers and capstan pulleys have gone bad or something has bent.  If the motor(s) have burnt out that is a pretty expensive repair if you can even find replacements.

If you find it is beyond your DIY skills you might speak with an audio repair service - one having experience with reel-to-reel units - for restoration or bringing it back to life.  Some of the old timers that cherish r-r recorders are still around hanging out at various audio specialty shops.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan