Audio Systems/Subwoofer bridging


If i have two sub-woofers (dual voice coil) wired at 2 ohms, is there a certain type of gauge wire I would need to bridge them together for my mono amp?

For subwoofer it is always a good idea to use substantial wires for connecting.  But, it mostly depends on the distance of the wire.  For short range - say under 10 feet - any strong gauge will do - such as twisted pair 16 gauge.  For longer runs up to 50 feet choose something like 10 or 12 gauge.

You can check with other web postings for speaker runs but with a sub you should choose a little bigger diameter since they carry more power of the audio spectrum.

For just the bridging wire between the coils any good stiff wire is okey because of the very shor distance.  I use electrical zip wire purchased in the local hardware store.

Let me know if you need more.  

Audio Systems

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.


Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications


Past/Present Clients
Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers

©2017 All rights reserved.