Audio Systems/Variable control for house speakers

Question
Hello, last year we had an audio system installed in our home. We have a set of speakers in 3 rooms and 1 set on our patio ... and probably will eventually add more. We are not sure the installer understood what we wanted, as it hasn't completely lived up to our expectations. He installed a Denon AVR-X1000 receiver, a Crown XLS-1500 amplifier, and a Russound Pro-8 HP dual-source speaker selector. In addition, he convinced us that we needed a sound bar for our living room tv instead of using the in-wall speakers in that room for television watching. We are not audiophiles, so that was a waste of money, but oh well.

Anyway, here is what we wanted that the current system seems incapable of doing: 1) Control the volume of each room independently, especially since the outdoor speakers require higher volumes, making the indoor speakers too loud (we actually turn off the living room speakers and use the sound bar when this occurs). 2) Remotely turn on and off the different speaker pairs, as having to go into the control room to do that is a pain (the Russound is not remote controlled).

Also, we'd like to, if possible, be able to play different things in different rooms or outside. Right now, the installer has the Main Zone of the Denon as our living room tv and sound bar, while the Second Zone is all of the wall/outdoor speakers. From my understanding, the second zone isn't supposed to really go to more than one set of speakers, right? Is it not strange to have the entire Main Zone delegated to what the TV and Sound Bar system does by itself, or is that just the nature of the beast?

I apologize for the length of the question. Is what we need even possible? We want to avoid rewiring anything inside the walls.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Answer
If you want multi-programs available to any playback space you need a different system.

Since you only have one (Denon) rcver you can only have one radio source at a time.

If you wish to be able to play back cd into one space whilst simultaneously play a dvd or tape to another space you must have a switching system that will select from the program sources. And you would need an additional amplifier for each listening space.

The configuration you now have would need a total rework in order to do that.  And, it may require a manual source selecting switch.

In any event, without more detail I cannot scope out what mods the present system would need.  I suggest, in your case, at least, you secure the services of an audio specialist who can study your current setup and redesign the system accordingly.

That's it for now.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan