Audio Systems/Amp for subs>


Looking for subs for my car, a 2003 ford explorer, found 2 12 inch Polk Audio subs in a ported box,  subs are dual voice coils, what amp?

You must find an amplifier with output impedance to match the speakers.  Most dual cone amps are intended for the coils to be in parallel which means if they are 4 ohm coils the resulting impedance would be 2 ohms.  Most better amps for vehicle installation will drive a 2 ohm load.

There are many amplifiers that will do the job.  Polk products are generally very good so you want to drive them sufficiently.  

Hope this helps.  

Audio Systems

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.


Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications


Past/Present Clients
Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers

©2017 All rights reserved.