Audio Systems/diy PA-system for outside

karl wrote at 2015-04-25 22:19:26
For outdoors the more watts the better. You have to take into consideration first of all of no boundaries outside for sound to reflect off, the sound just travels and travels until it gets drowned out and lost in ambient noise. Secondly take into account the noise of the people you will be entertaining. If you don't have enough watts you won't have enough decibels, and your music won't do the job. I would say a minimum of one thousand watts (1000w RMS @8ohms). Also when looking for amplifiers always look for the RMS @ 8ohms output, never look for 4 ohm ratings as you can guarantee that power will half @ 8 ohm, and most speakers are 8 ohms anyway. You'll be hard pushed to find yourself in a situation where you will ever have the chance to utilise the full power of an amp @ 4 ohm. Another thing I'd suggest is subwoofers, they in themselves add more volume not to mention more power to your music and will be useful to reinforce the low end of music outdoors. I would recommend no smaller than 12 inch midrange speakers, and 15-18 in subs. I'd say get a more powerful amp for the subs because the lower the frequency the more dB's needed to power them.  

karl wrote at 2015-04-25 22:43:30
I forgot to touch on, yes a mixer will add volume to your music as it will boost your signal level before the amplifier. Some mixers have a mono/stereo selector switch, if not then there should be a mono output somewhere at the back.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan