Audio Systems/S/PDIF to Surround Sound system

Question
S/PDIF Port
S/PDIF Port  
Audio Cables
Audio Cables  
QUESTION: I have recently upgraded my xbox 360 to a new xbox one system, but now I cannot connect my console to my sound system. The xbox one only has an S/PDIF port in the back, and I now need to somehow convert that output signal to be received by my surround sound system which does not have an S/PDIF input port. My surround sound system is a Logitech X-530 and can only recieve audio through green, black and orange 3.5 mm audio cables. Any solution would be much appreciated!

Many Thanks.

Nathan Johns

ANSWER: I have good news for you, Nathan:
You should be able to use the optical audio interface, now.

1) Leave the HDMI cable connected to your TV for video.
2) Connect one end of a digital audio cable to the S/PDIF (optical audio) port on the console.
3) Connect the other end of the digital audio cable to the digital audio input port on your receiver.

I am not for sure on the proper cable specification in the UK for the Xbox One but something like this should suffice.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/Toslink-Optical-Digital-Cable-1-Meter.aspx?u

You should check with your local support to be sure before you purchase a cable just to be certain.  I would not want to steer anyone even slightly in the wrong direction.
If you need any further assistance please do not hesitate to submit a follow up question.

JM

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply, but my issue is that there isn't a digital audio input port on my sound system, only the 3.5mm colour coded cables shown in the images from my first question. So my concern is that I would need to convert the digital audio from the xbox into one that can be interpreted by the sound system?

Thanks

NJ

ANSWER: Well that makes it interesting :)  The images I found of the Logitech x-530 show an optical input to the left of the three, 3.5 mm inputs.
Sorry about that.

Indeed, to use the Logitech 3.5 mm stereo inputs, you will have to get a converter.

Here is a converter to take SPDIF or optical and convert it to RCA  28.00 usd.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/120691096903?lpid=82&chn=ps

Male RCA's to one stereo 3.5mm
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&kpid=5596&format=2&p_id=5596&CAWELAID=132

Pretty much plug and play.

JM

QUESTION: Ahh I see, so instead of converting straight to the 3.5mm, I will have to go through RCA cables first.
I already have the rca to 3.5mm converter, so I would just need the digital to analog adapter.
The only worry now that the multiple cables and converters may disrupt or delay the audio signal?
Would normal RCA cables be okay or would I need high quality cables?

Thanks

NJ

Answer
Just a set of RCA's in good condition should suffice. Spending 280.00 on a pair will not help in this scenario.
You will of course need a short optical cable to make it to the converter.
I have not used such a converter but I doubt that it has much latency.

JM

Audio Systems

Jerry Mael