Audio Systems/Sony DVP-999ES

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
 I have an older Sony DVD/SACD player model DVP-NS999ES.   It was playing fine until yesterday.  I have it plugged into a Monster surge/power strip.   However, The power button on the surge protector was accidently turned off and then back on again while the Sony was playing.   Since that happended, the player is no longer reading my cd's.  When I stick in a disk, you can clearly hear the player spinning the disk for awhile, but thats it.  It eventually shows 'Cannot Read' on the display.   Do you have any ideas what happened to the player?  Thanks for your help.

ANSWER: Try a reset of the player. Unplug it from the power all together and let it sit for a few minutes before rebooting it.

It's possible the system went into overload or some such thing.  If a reset and reboot doesn't solve the problem it is likely the laser pickup in the player is not working. Or, that somehow it got banged or bumped out of focus such that it cannot read the disc.  This may need a replacement pickup - which is quite expensive if parts are available!

This unit was quite expensive in its day - about 2002, I think.  So the chance of getting new parts is shaky because most manufacturers support these kinds of products only for 5 or 6 years. And, in the meantime new products have been improved and prices have come down dramatically.

There is a troubleshooting section in the manual; be sure and look at that for some help but don't expect too much from it.

Best wishes.  Hope you can find a solution for your dilemma.

QUESTION: Thanks.  I tried resetting it as I left the unit unplugged for a few hours, But unfortunately didn't work.    So Do you feel it's most likely the laser pickup?  Just asking as I see a replacement pickup for the 999ES advertised on Amazon for $35.  If so I will try to repair it but not worth bringing to a tech.  

Thanks again.

Answer
I can only give an educated guess.  There are many other strange things that could cause your problem but I'd give it an 80% likelyhood it's the optical pickup. They are known to fail with age since the laser diode inside just don't last forever.

Best wishes.  Cheers.

Audio Systems

Cleggsan