Audio Systems/Bad audio quality from my computer

Hi Wayne,

I recently inherited a tape player which I run through a small digital amplifier (lepai lp-2020a+) and it sounds great but when I play something through my computer soundcard it sounds muted and no low end. My friend recommended using a DAC which doesn't make any sense to me (Is not the digital output essentially a DAC?) I'm running NVIDIA high definition audio through my computer. Should I get a better soundcard? Is getting a DAC any way sane?

OK - Are you telling me that your're plugging the tape player into the soundcard, and it sounds bad? What exactly does the soundcard and amp have to do with each other?
I guess I'm not 100% clear about how you're trying to run things.

A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. Plugging an analog tape deck into a DAC would gain you nothing. That would be like trying to play a CD on a record player...

If you could clarify your aim, I'm sure I can help you out.

Audio Systems

Wayne Tapia

Home Theater Audio Cabling (from HDMI to speaker cable). I WILL REJECT ALL CAR AUDIO QUESTIONS - I am not a car audio guy.

I am a Certified Audio Engineer that also works in the A/V cabling industry. I would like to dispel the myths and outright lies about the cables that connect your home theater systems together. Here's a hint - many of you have been misled out of hundreds of dollars for cabling systems.

Audio Recording Technology Institute Vancouver Film School

Post Magic Studios Khaos Studios Glass Forest Entertainment Funkbuddha Productions The Capital Playhouse Art In Music Global Music Project University of Washington Belle and Wissel