Audio Systems/Turntable/Receiver/Speaker setup

Hi, I am putting together a simple turntable setup in my living room and am a little confused about whether or not the components I am looking at are ok to use together.  I have an Audio Technica AT-LP60-USB turntable am looking for a receiver and some bookshelf speakers to go with it.  After doing some shopping around I would like to use a Yamaha R-S201 receiver with Micca MB42x speakers.  The problem is that the Micca speakers have a rated impedance of 4 ohms, and the Yahama receiver appears to be rated for 8 ohms.  It seems like the rule of thumb is that your speakers' impedance should not be lower than the receiver, but a lot of people seem to say that it's not that cut-and-dry.  What are your thoughts on this?  Do you think that these pieces of equipment would be ok to use together?  Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

According to the following specifications from Yamaha the receiver you suggested will drive a 4 ohm load:

Therefore, there should be no problem driving the Micca MB42x speakers.

And, you are correct that an impedance lower in value than the rating of the output impedance for the amplifier is not a good choice.  Too low load impedance can damage the amplifiers output circuitry.

The TT you suggested has both USB and analog audio outputs.  You can use the USB to feed into your PC but to connect it to the Yamaha amp you will need to use the analog rca connectors.

Have a wonderful enjoyment with your new audio playback system.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers