Audio Systems/portable sound

Question
Hello,
I am a fitness instructor and use an Ipod classic. I use the Ipod in various locations with different sound systems. I notice two things that I seem to have no control over: 1. Volume control between songs (even after enabling sound check in Itunes on my Mac Book, and on the Ipod) The songs are loud then inaudible, or somewhere in between 2. Volume control varying wildly between rec center equipment). I am not the expert, but it seems when there is a more sophisticated sound system, the ipod works better.

I am not sure how to resolve this problem. I do not know if an newer Ipod would make a difference, or an IPhone, or a good quality portable sound system with an equalizer. (I was looking at a portable Harmon/Kardon system, but I am using this Ipod, I could very well have the same problem)
Would you kindly advise?
Thank you

Answer
Those are consistent problems you face with various sound sources, settings and interface with other amplification systems.

You should always know what level settings your device is set for and readjust them back to the more perfect settings after having to make volume up and down settings for a given interface.

It is somewhat standard in the industry for the output of a device feeding into an audio amplifier to be at a level of below one volt ac.  Most external amplifiers will easily be driven to full power with a signal feeding which is less than the one volt.  Many will drive to full level with only 1/4 of a volt, thus making it necessary to lower the level when using such an amplifier or system.

I don't think you will easily get away from having to adjust either the amplification level of an external amplifier or the output level of your source ipod.

Hope this discussion helps.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan