Audio Systems/Denon Receiver problem

QUESTION: Bought the receiver used in good condition and it worked great for about a week - without manual tried navigating all the pre set fm stations and tuning capabilities - also hooked up DVD/CD player which works fine -- then one day when I went back to the Tuner input I lost all sound - the tuner displays and can be changed but it is almost like it is muted somehow - the CDs however still play when the DVD input is prompted - I bought a users manual and tried resetting the microprocessor to no avail - thanks

ANSWER: Without the model number I can only give you generic reply.

However, if the audio section is working correctly; you said cds are playing fine which confirms the audio section is okey.  Then, we must consider the tuner section is the culprit.

Loss of audio from the tuner section could be a setting (check the manual to see if you need to override some setting) or their is a failure of the internal circuitry (which requires troubleshooting).  In the tuner circuit it could be the discriminator chip or audio output chip that needs replacement.

Also, check the antenna connection; if you have not signal coming to the input the tuner section would be quiet.  If you go to AM radio and turn up the volume you should hear some white noise even with no antenna connection.  Same for RM radio but it will be much quieter with no antenna connection.

Hope this helps you gain a solution to the problem.

QUESTION: my apologies - it is a DRA-295 Denon model -- using old speaker wire for antenna andn it is still hooked up - problematic to me since it was broadcasting fine - I will double check it and the AM white noise to be sure -- sounds like the chips you are referring to need professional repair

You have good taste. It's a fine old unit.

It does have tape monitor function so make sure you don't have it in monitor mode.

It also has extra amp  outputs which you might check to see you are getting audio out of those (you'd need an external amp connected to see if these outputs are working on radio).

Hoping for the best.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers