Audio Systems/6 disc DVD changer in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

QUESTION: i replaced my 6 disc DVD changer in my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with another unit (same thing) and when you turn the volume up to hear it's faint but there is loud static over the music/ talking on the DVD, how do I get rid of the static?

ANSWER: The dvd changer may be defective or there may be a bad interface connection.  The replacement unit must be the correct unit for your car and if it is not exactly the same the pin connections in the connectors may be different, even though the unit appears the same.

It may be best to take it to a custom installer shop and ask them to look at it.  They have the tools and experience to look at the right places for a solution to the problem.

But, first, go through the connections and cables to make sure of good, tight fit, etc.  That may help.

QUESTION: It did the same thing in the vsn I took it out of.. All static.. And that was factory in that van

Based on your reply I think the problem lies with the head unit in the van. Does only the changer have this problem and all other functions are OK?

Perhaps the head unit requires troubleshooting and or replacement. I doubt if this is a simple repair. It may require an expert technician to look at it.

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers