Audio Systems/no bass on speakers when playing vinyl

Hi Cleggsan,

Hope you can help me identify the issues in my system.

I have recently got a pair of Mission 773 floorstanding speakers and i have a denon ud-m30 mini system. I also have a pro-ject rpm 1.3 record player with an ortofon om2 red cartridge that is about 3 years old and i hook it up to the denon via a bheringer phono pre-amp PP400.

The issue i have is that since i hooked up the new mission speakers i have no bass at all when listening to vinyl and i can barely get some bass from the denon equalizer with bass at max. Other sources like cd and tv offer quite good bass on music. Previously i didn't have this problem with my old bookshelf speakers.

Speakers are biwire and the amp isn't but that shouldn't be a problem since the red black double connection on the speaker is bridged so it can be used with single wire as well.

I'm not sure where the problem could be?

Hope you can give me some insight of where to start looking.

Thank you and Best regards,

Even before reading all the way through your question my mind was on the wiring to the bi-amped speaker.

I think you have a wiring problem between the speakers and amplifier output terminals.  You must make sure of the polarity of the speaker wires and the parallel configuration of the double connection to the speaker terminals.

Further, the speaker impedance could be too low for the amplifier ant the bass is not coming out.  You might be better of to purchase another amplifier so you can bi-amp the speakers.  

Hope this helps.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers