Audio Systems/OTA Audio

QUESTION: Hi Wayne, I have a question regarding Over The air TV and sound. I am currently researching a project of getting rid of my Cable TV. I have a Sony receiver which I direct my sound through for the stereo sound. By getting rid of the cable tv and using over the air tv I am confused about producing stereo sound. In other words How to connect my receiver to produce the Stereo sound.
Can you help?

ANSWER: Hi John,

There should be some kind of AUDIO OUTPUT from your TV set. The type of output can vary from TV to TV... it might be a digital audio out (optical or coaxial cable) an analog stereo out (red and white RCA connectors), or maybe a headphone output.

If you give me the brand / model of your TV and receiver, I can tell you specifically what type of connections are available to you, and what type of cabling you'll need.

Wayne - BJC

QUESTION: Thanks for the quick response. The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V361 and the TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR3.

Thanks for your help,

OK - your TV has an optical digital audio output, and your receiver has an optical input (DTV in), so all you need is a optical digital audio cable.

These can be found on Amazon , and also here:

Shop for price on this type of item... one cable will not "sound better" than another cable.

Alternatively, you also have RCA analog audio outputs on your TV that you can use a regular set of stereo audio cables to your receiver (red/white RCA cables).

Wayne - BJC

Audio Systems

Wayne Tapia

Home Theater Audio Cabling (from HDMI to speaker cable). I WILL REJECT ALL CAR AUDIO QUESTIONS - I am not a car audio guy.

I am a Certified Audio Engineer that also works in the A/V cabling industry. I would like to dispel the myths and outright lies about the cables that connect your home theater systems together. Here's a hint - many of you have been misled out of hundreds of dollars for cabling systems.

Audio Recording Technology Institute Vancouver Film School

Post Magic Studios Khaos Studios Glass Forest Entertainment Funkbuddha Productions The Capital Playhouse Art In Music Global Music Project University of Washington Belle and Wissel