Audio Systems/Amp / Speaker requirements

I have a jukebox that has a 140 watt amp.  I picked up a woofer speaker that is rated at 700 watts.  Will my amp be able to drive the speaker?  Is there any danger of damaging the amp since there are so far apart in spec's?

No problem.

You can ignore the power rating of the speaker as those specifications are mostly witchcraft anyway.

Most important to consider is impedance matching.  The impedance rating of the speaker should be the same or higher of the amplifier.  Perfect match if for the ratings to be equal such as 8 ohms for the output of the amplifier and 8 ohm voice coil of the speaker.

Any further questions let me know.  

Audio Systems

Audio Design Engineer; systems, loudspeakers, cd/dvd players, etc. I am knowledgeable in all high end audio equipment and installations. MAKE SURE YOU GIVE A MAKE AND MODEL NUMBER AND CAR IF IT IS AN AUTO QUESTION. Note: I am getting some who ask good questions that take a lot of time to research but then the questioner fails to read the answer. Please don't ask questions unless you are seriously looking for an answer. If you find an answer to your question otherwise then let me know with your reply. Thank you.

Have been associated with audio design, standards, testing and component systems for over 40 years.

Life Fellow Member of Audio Engineering Society Life Senior Member of Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers

Review technical manuscripts for IEEE Spectrum Write occasionally for high-end audio publications

Past Employee/advisor to several well known audio products manufacturers