Audio Systems/Car Audio Chevy Cobalt

Question
Hello, I am looking to get a subwoofer for my car and I'm not sure what would be the best option for the money. I have a 2007 Chevy cobalt ls. So far I have upgraded my head unit and installed new speakers so all that's left to do is get a subwoofer. I'm looking to spend no more than $350 for box, amp and sub. So I was wondering if you could help me find the best hard hitting sub for the money, or just a few suggestions on what I should get. I have looked at a jl audio 10 w0v3 with a Rockford fosgate punch amp. What do you think?
Thanks, Andrew

Answer
Not a lot of space in a cobalt for big subs and you need big boxes to get deep bass.

Here is my suggestion.  Since the performance of subs in small cars is greatly related to the specific sub and not upon the so-called specs you must do some experimenting.  I think you might check the craigslistings for a few used ones and try one or two.  The investment of one that you might do the trick would be worth the learning experience.  But that is up to you.  In any event it is a trial and error type of decision.

And, beside that, I hesitate to give equipment recommendations simply because there are so many subjective factors.  A few are budget, space, mounting configurations, SPL ratings, musical preferances, other speakers in the car and so on.  

So, I am going to leave you on your own but with the following commentary:

Small spaces with closed windows work mostly on a pressurization rather than on propogation principles.  The mounting configuration is less important than the amount of acoustic power you can get out.  The sensitivity rating of the sub is an important issue.  Mostly, the lower the sensitivity rating the deeper bass you will get but the greater power it will take to drive it.  The same is true of cone resonant frequency.  So there are trade-offs in these regards.

That's it for today.  

Audio Systems

Cleggsan