Audiology/Otolaryngology/Improved Hearing

With age and with loud music a person's hearing will continue to get worst and naturally there is no real way to make it better, right? Just hearing aids and devices and maybe drastic surguries that are hit or miss? I was wondering if there is any type of device for people who can hear well enough, but wish to preserve their hearing? Like a device that brings in more sound from around the person, builds up a kind of contrast between different sources of sound, and makes it so that all things can be listened to at an overall lower volumn? Just a thought.

Many factors contribute to losing hearing.  Genetics (or heredity), noise exposure (incidental or cumulative), age, medications, other diseases, etc. all can play a role.  You are right, that for most types of hearing loss, it is irreversible by medications or even surgery.  Some devices and implants DO significantly help rehabilitate these loses and can restore a great deal of function, even to the extent of very near "normal."

That being said, audiologists and other researchers and health care providers (and even governmental programs) have long supported prevention of hearing loss through hearing protective devices (HPDs).  The most basic version of this is an earplug.  More advanced options exist which are "filtered" plugs, so that music and other sounds are not distorted, but are kept at a safe level for the ears.  What you describe sounds like something along the lines of what is used in many hearing aid technologies, noise reduction headphones (and even digital audio device processing), and "personal hearing devices" that use various kinds of technology to enhance clarity, but reduce background noise, and limit the intensity of loud sounds.  There are devices for hunters that are designed this way, in-ear-monitors for musicians, and so forth.

The problem is that many do not take advantage of these technologies and devices to protect hearing.  Better awareness and an increased desire for these products would only push the technologies further.  It would not eliminate hearing loss, but might preserve usable hearing for much longer.

I am very happy that you are thinking about these things and urge you to protect your own hearing as well as encouraging others to do the same.  

Clint Keifer

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist

I am qualified to answer all questions related to the diagnosis and rehabilitative treatment of hearing and balance disorders. This includes evaluation of hearing and balance, counseling, amplification (hearing aids and assistive devices), tinnitus (noises in head) evaluation and management, cochlear implants, and audiology in general.

I started my career as a hearing instrument specialist (on a trainee license) in 1998. After almost 2 years, I decided that I needed to pursue higher education if I was to provide the best care to hearing impaired patients that I could. In 2007, I completed my Doctor of Audiology and have been providing audiological care for almost 5 years. I have vestibular, cochlear implant, and pediatric experience along with prescribing, fitting, and verification of hearing aid amplification as part of comprehensive hearing loss rehabilitation.

Audiology doctor and owner at Great Lakes Audiology in Toledo, OH. phone: 419 327-2273 website: American Academy of Audiology American Speech-Language Hearing Association Ohio Academy of Audiology

Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Western Michigan University, Speech Pathology and Audiology Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.), Ohio State University Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)