Audiology/Otolaryngology/ringing sound in the ears

Hello! i am a 19 year old girl and i have a ringing sound in my ears. I think i have always had this problem but thought it was normal until i read about it and i think the ringing sound in my left ear is a bit more than that in my right ear.I find my hearing is normal and hasn't deteriorated or changed in any way. I am very worried about this. Is this something very serious?

Hello Archana,

I am glad you asked.  Tinnitus (internal sounds in your ears or head) is very common and can be quite an annoyance for some individuals.  I too, have had ringing in both of my ears since I was a teenager.  It has gotten only slightly worse over the past 15-20 years.  I do not have any hearing loss or other ear problems either, but do have noise exposure and migraines (tinnitus is more common with migraine sufferers).

I would recommend that you see an audiologist for a hearing and tinnitus evaluation.  If anything warrants additional evaluation by a physician specialist, he/she will refer you.  In the meantime, you should not worry at all since the chances of it being anything serious are quite small.  

Typically if it was more serious, one would present with tinnitus greater in one ear with hearing loss in the same ear and balance disturbance.  These symptoms are the hallmarks of a problem such as a benign mass on the nerve.  These tumors are very slow growing and are not really life-threatening but they can result in loss of hearing on that side.  Even when an individual presents with 2 or all 3 symptoms, it rarely results in a diagnosis of an acoustic neuroma (that kind of tumor).  

So, go have it evaluated and do not worry. And don't forget to protect your ears from loud noise!

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist

I am qualified to answer all questions related to the diagnosis and rehabilitative treatment of hearing and balance disorders. This includes evaluation of hearing and balance, counseling, amplification (hearing aids and assistive devices), tinnitus (noises in head) evaluation and management, cochlear implants, and audiology in general.

I started my career as a hearing instrument specialist (on a trainee license) in 1998. After almost 2 years, I decided that I needed to pursue higher education if I was to provide the best care to hearing impaired patients that I could. In 2007, I completed my Doctor of Audiology and have been providing audiological care for almost 5 years. I have vestibular, cochlear implant, and pediatric experience along with prescribing, fitting, and verification of hearing aid amplification as part of comprehensive hearing loss rehabilitation.

Audiology doctor and owner at Great Lakes Audiology in Toledo, OH. phone: 419 327-2273 website: American Academy of Audiology American Speech-Language Hearing Association Ohio Academy of Audiology

Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Western Michigan University, Speech Pathology and Audiology Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.), Ohio State University Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)