Audiology/Otolaryngology/clickingsound in left ear

Dear Doctor,

I have this clicking sound in my left ear when I walk. It sounds like the same sound I hear when I chew and swallow. Please refer to my ringing problems in this post
and make an accessment.
Thank you very much.

This may be your Eustachian tube or middle ear causing this if wax has already been ruled out in the ear canal.  A more rare cause of "echo" and other noises when walking, which may also have a dizziness componenet is superior canal dihescence (SCD).  Based on what you have told me, I suspect this is not the case, but thought I would mention it. The fact that the sound you hear is the same as when you chew and swallow makes me believe it is most likely your Eustachian tube.  You could try "exercises" to strengthen the muscles which control opening and closing the tube, which are basically swallowing.  One version to help clear small amounts of fluid, strengthen, and force air up to the middle ear is done by taking a deep breath and holding, pinching the nose, and swallowing hard.  Doing this several times in a row, several times a day may help.  Some ENTs recommend this and others do not.

The ringing is likely inner ear/nerve related and goes along with your sensorineural hearing loss.  As I said before, you are likely genetically predisposed to this kind of problem and you should always protect your hearing around noise.  Once the damage/deficit has occured, the cells do not repair.  There are devices such as hearing aids and maskers to help compensate for hearing loss and to provide some relief from severe tinnitus.  Consult with your audiologist for options.

I wish you well.

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist

I am qualified to answer all questions related to the diagnosis and rehabilitative treatment of hearing and balance disorders. This includes evaluation of hearing and balance, counseling, amplification (hearing aids and assistive devices), tinnitus (noises in head) evaluation and management, cochlear implants, and audiology in general.

I started my career as a hearing instrument specialist (on a trainee license) in 1998. After almost 2 years, I decided that I needed to pursue higher education if I was to provide the best care to hearing impaired patients that I could. In 2007, I completed my Doctor of Audiology and have been providing audiological care for almost 5 years. I have vestibular, cochlear implant, and pediatric experience along with prescribing, fitting, and verification of hearing aid amplification as part of comprehensive hearing loss rehabilitation.

Audiology doctor and owner at Great Lakes Audiology in Toledo, OH. phone: 419 327-2273 website: American Academy of Audiology American Speech-Language Hearing Association Ohio Academy of Audiology

Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Western Michigan University, Speech Pathology and Audiology Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.), Ohio State University Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)