Audiology/Otolaryngology/permanent total hearing loss


My mother had total hearing loss two years ago. after numbers of different tests, doctors said that the nerve inside the ear was dead. is there any treatment available for such cases and how much money is required?

If the diagnosis is severe to bilateral (both ears) profound sensorineural hearing loss which is not adequately aidable with hearing aids (there is testing to determine this), then a cochlear implant should be a consideration.  You should seek an audiologist and surgeon who specialize in this type of treatment.  Out of pocket costs will vary depending on health insurance coverage, hospital, surgical, and rehabilitative charges but can be over $40,000 US.  If approved, many insurances may cover the cost entirely.

I hope this helps you and your mother.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist


I am qualified to answer all questions related to the diagnosis and rehabilitative treatment of hearing and balance disorders. This includes evaluation of hearing and balance, counseling, amplification (hearing aids and assistive devices), tinnitus (noises in head) evaluation and management, cochlear implants, and audiology in general.


I started my career as a hearing instrument specialist (on a trainee license) in 1998. After almost 2 years, I decided that I needed to pursue higher education if I was to provide the best care to hearing impaired patients that I could. In 2007, I completed my Doctor of Audiology and have been providing audiological care for almost 5 years. I have vestibular, cochlear implant, and pediatric experience along with prescribing, fitting, and verification of hearing aid amplification as part of comprehensive hearing loss rehabilitation.

Audiology doctor and owner at Great Lakes Audiology in Toledo, OH. phone: 419 327-2273 website: American Academy of Audiology American Speech-Language Hearing Association Ohio Academy of Audiology

Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Western Michigan University, Speech Pathology and Audiology Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.), Ohio State University Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]