Audiology/Otolaryngology/permanent total hearing loss

Question
My mother had total hearing loss two years ago. after numbers of different tests, doctors said that the nerve inside the ear was dead. is there any treatment available for such cases and how much money is required?

Answer
If the diagnosis is severe to bilateral (both ears) profound sensorineural hearing loss which is not adequately aidable with hearing aids (there is testing to determine this), then a cochlear implant should be a consideration.  You should seek an audiologist and surgeon who specialize in this type of treatment.  Out of pocket costs will vary depending on health insurance coverage, hospital, surgical, and rehabilitative charges but can be over $40,000 US.  If approved, many insurances may cover the cost entirely.

I hope this helps you and your mother.

Audiology/Otolaryngology

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist