The past couple of days I have noticed pressure in my left ear. There is no pain and I have no fever just an odd pressure sensation. Could it be a precursor to an infection? I don't usually have problems with my ears.

Dear Pam,
Definitely could be a precurser to an ear infection, but may just be eustachian tube dysfunction related to some irritation or inflammation of the throat/eustachian tube.  Sometimes if you have been sleeping on that side, some drainage/fluid can accumulate.  When you swallow or yawn, do you hear "crackle" or "popping" and feel some relief?  Take a deep breath and hold while executing a hard swallow.

This could also be some wax pushed close or against the eardrum or starting to occlude the ear canal (especially if you use Q-tips).  I would recommend you have you ear looked at by a professional.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist

I am qualified to answer all questions related to the diagnosis and rehabilitative treatment of hearing and balance disorders. This includes evaluation of hearing and balance, counseling, amplification (hearing aids and assistive devices), tinnitus (noises in head) evaluation and management, cochlear implants, and audiology in general.

I started my career as a hearing instrument specialist (on a trainee license) in 1998. After almost 2 years, I decided that I needed to pursue higher education if I was to provide the best care to hearing impaired patients that I could. In 2007, I completed my Doctor of Audiology and have been providing audiological care for almost 5 years. I have vestibular, cochlear implant, and pediatric experience along with prescribing, fitting, and verification of hearing aid amplification as part of comprehensive hearing loss rehabilitation.

Audiology doctor and owner at Great Lakes Audiology in Toledo, OH. phone: 419 327-2273 website: American Academy of Audiology American Speech-Language Hearing Association Ohio Academy of Audiology

Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Western Michigan University, Speech Pathology and Audiology Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.), Ohio State University Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)