Audiology/Otolaryngology/Plugs

Question
QUESTION: What ear plugs would you recommend for some nice peace and quiet in a noisy room? I purchase some cheap foam ones that I constantly have to pack in to keep them from coming out. I think I've seen some out there with ridges which I assume helps to keep them from sliding out. What do you recommend as far as plugs that stay in well?

ANSWER: James,
Take a look at www.etymotic.com for nice quality examples of flanged earplugs.  Specifically the Ety-plugs.  Otherwise, custom plugs can be ordered through your local audiology doctor.

QUESTION: Each one of those ear plugs cost $10 or more? That is not in my budget. I don't need something that allows sound in. What can you recommend that is available over the counter in a pharmacy or grocery store? A good fit is the only technology I am looking for.

Answer
Hi James,
If you are looking for low cost plugs, I would recommend you consider something like Mack's ear plugs or ear seals.  http://www.amazon.com/Macks-Seals-Removable-Cord-Pair/dp/B000KOMHDO/ref=sr_1_4?i

You many be able to find these at the local drug store.  My wife has actually used this kind with good results.

Hope this helps.

Audiology/Otolaryngology

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist