Audiology/Otolaryngology/Ringing in Ear

I went to the doctor about a week ago due to a sore throat and cough. I was told I had a bronchial infection on put on Z-Pak for 5 days. I finished the Z-pak 4 or 5 days ago. Yesterday, I began hearing a light ringing in my left ear. I'm still hearing it today.

Could this be an ear infection caused by the bronchial infection? Or maybe a side effect from the Z-Pak? My plan right now is to wait a few days and see if the ringing stops on its own. At what point should I go and see the doctor again?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Very sorry for the delayed response!  I hope that you are already finding relief, but in case you are not, this certainly can be the result of inflammation/infection (especially around the throat, eustachian tube and ear) and is most likely temporary.  This is quite common, but would recommend you let your physician know if it has not subsided by now or if it has worsened.  Stay well hydrated and let your doctor know.  If this problem remains after your infection has cleared completely, then further ear/hearing evaluation may be in order.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Clint D. Keifer, Audiologist

I am qualified to answer all questions related to the diagnosis and rehabilitative treatment of hearing and balance disorders. This includes evaluation of hearing and balance, counseling, amplification (hearing aids and assistive devices), tinnitus (noises in head) evaluation and management, cochlear implants, and audiology in general.

I started my career as a hearing instrument specialist (on a trainee license) in 1998. After almost 2 years, I decided that I needed to pursue higher education if I was to provide the best care to hearing impaired patients that I could. In 2007, I completed my Doctor of Audiology and have been providing audiological care for almost 5 years. I have vestibular, cochlear implant, and pediatric experience along with prescribing, fitting, and verification of hearing aid amplification as part of comprehensive hearing loss rehabilitation.

Audiology doctor and owner at Great Lakes Audiology in Toledo, OH. phone: 419 327-2273 website: American Academy of Audiology American Speech-Language Hearing Association Ohio Academy of Audiology

Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Western Michigan University, Speech Pathology and Audiology Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.), Ohio State University Certificate of Clinical Competence in Audiology (CCC-A)