You are here:

Auditing/conflict with the IRS


hi Richard!

in the late Spring, I received a letter from the IRS asking me to pay a penalty for underpayment of estimated tax.
I sent the payment, and in an attached letter, wrote that their conclusion is incorrect, i.e., I did not underpay, I actually overpaid and told them to look at my 2100 form, that shows the calculations that end up as overpayment.
The IRS has ignored my reply and in 3 letters invited me to contact them.
I again stated my conclusions, and asked for a face-to-face meeting with an agent so that I could show my numbers, and also to see how they reached their conclusions.
My request has been ignored. They did give a number to call, but that number is always putting on hold for a 1/2 hour or more.

So I think I need another approach, using a Taxpayer Assistance office, or the Taxpayer Advocate Service.
What do you suggest is the right approach?

Thanks for your reply.

You didn't say how much the difference is in the two calculations. I would call 800 829-7650 at a little after 8AM eastern time and see why they disagree. Even if you are on hold for a little while calling is the best solution. If you still can't get any traction I would walk into a local assistance office and ask to speak to a representative. Third choice would be to call the Advocate office. Hope that helps.  


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Richard S


Questions about the collection of taxes. I spent ten years in Collections and tax return review with the IRS and spoke with over 20,000 people. I worked with people to solve problems with their tax levies, liens, Offer in Compromise, unfiled tax returns, payment/filing options and general questions.


Over 10 years with the IRS - recently retired. Handled thousands of cases - mostly for regular people that owed anywhere from a few hundred dollars to over $100,000.

Masters Degree from Iowa State in Ames.

©2017 All rights reserved.