Australia/Emergrating to queensland from england

QUESTION: Hi frank I wondered if you could give us some advise about moving to Australia .  We are currently in the process of getting a work permit and visa for austraila my partner is 41 and an experienced bricklayer my son will be 20 in July and has just finished a two year apprenticeship as a qualified plumber  I also have 10 year old and 8 year old daughter s.  can you tell us if there is much work for bricklayers and plumbers in the  brisbane  area  if not what areas in Australia  do you think would  suit us for this type of work .
Thanks for your help

ANSWER: Hi Donna,
         I hope the work permit process goes well.

At the moment there is plenty of work for Bricklayers and plumbers in Brisbane. I do not knwo about the other areas of Australia though. With your son being a 2nd year apprentice, it may be slightly harder, but I think he would be fine.

If your plan comes together, and you decide on Brisbane, contact me again, and will help you with anything else you require.

QUESTION: Thanks for your quick response brisbane is the area we had our hearts set on and if all goes well we would be looking to go to Australia this year.  When we arrive we would be on a tight budget untill we are settled what areas would you recommend to look for somewhere to live as cheap as posible with good access to schools for my girls

Hi Donna,

I prefer the north side of Brisbane. Which suburb you select would depend on where your husband and son get work.

Like most cities, the closer to the CBD, the more expensive it is for rent or to purchase.

Good Suburbs with in 10kn - Albion, Wooloowin, Eagle Junction, Toombul, Nundah Northgate Wilston, Windsor, Newmarket, Enoggera, Mitchelton, Gaythorne, Hendra, Wavell Heights, Ashgrove

Good Suburbs with in 20km - Virginia, Banyo, Nudgee, Boondall, Sandgate Deagon, Shorncliffe, Oxford Park, Grovely, Ferny Grove, Geebung, Albany Creek, Aspley, Stafford, Chermside, Carseldine, Everton Park, Alderley, Arana Hills, Keperra

Good Suburbs with in 30km - Lawnton, Petrie, North Lakes, Kallangur, Kurwongbah, French's Forest, Warner,

Good Suburbs with in 50km - Narangba, Burpengary, Margate, Scarborough, Woody Point, Redcliffe, Kippa Ring     

A website that may assist for work is -
A website that can give you a price guide to rent or purchase is -

Contact me any time if you need more assistance.

Have a great day.

Frank Denison

I have lived in Brisbane all my life (53 years). I am very proud of our city and the Sunshine State of Queensland. I am happy to help in any way possible. Queensland is a very humid and hot place in Summer, which makes it great for outdoor fun.

I have a great love and knowledge of Brisbane and the surrounding areas. I holiday on the Sunshine Coast every year, and visit the Gold Coast numerous times during the year for work. We love to dine out, and can recommend many places to try in Brisbane and the Coasts.

Year 12 Secondary School