Australia/the great barrier reef

Hi there my husband and I are visiting our son and family in Perth now in November they are going to Brisbane and we are going with them  i wondered how far it is from Brisbane up to the Reef I know they are going to Zoo Australia and not sure where else .We are coming from England and would be very grateful for any tips you have for us  We would love to see even part of the great barrier reef also how far out is it from land Thank so much .Moira

Hi Moira,
       The great barrier reef is about 2400km or 1400 miles long.

When we stayed at Cairns & Airlie Beach, we took a cruise from both locations to see the reef. Both locations gave us amazing views of the reef.  

The closest point of the great barrier reef to Brisbane is Lady Elliot Island. Lady Elliot Island is the southernmost coral cay of the Great Barrier Reef. The island lies 46 nautical miles north-east of Bundaberg and covers an area of approximately 45 hectares.

Brisbane is 365 km from Bundaberg, and, will take about 4 hours to drive. A plane will take less than an hour. Virgin Australia and Qantas fly Brisbane Bundaberg,

You would enjoy Australia Zoo if you went with your friends. If you require any more info, please contact me again, I am happy to help any way I ca,

Frank Denison

I have lived in Brisbane all my life (53 years). I am very proud of our city and the Sunshine State of Queensland. I am happy to help in any way possible. Queensland is a very humid and hot place in Summer, which makes it great for outdoor fun.

I have a great love and knowledge of Brisbane and the surrounding areas. I holiday on the Sunshine Coast every year, and visit the Gold Coast numerous times during the year for work. We love to dine out, and can recommend many places to try in Brisbane and the Coasts.

Year 12 Secondary School