Australian Cattle Dogs/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
My blue heeler attacks other dog.8/3/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: My 14 month old blue heeler (female, spayed) got along with my brothers older, bigger husky quite ...
  A: It is impossible for me to answer your question without seeing how you and your dog and the Husky ...
Our new girl wraps around your ankles like a snake!7/23/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: We had a sweet little 8 month (according to our vet) "blue heeler" dropped of on our property. Very ...
  A: This is fairly typical behavior for an ACD!They can be very manipulating...to say the least, but, ...
spray bottle7/19/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: the other day i asked you how to stop my puppy from jumping up and biting at heels, you said to use ...
  A: Yes, use the spray bottle for keeping the dog away from things,staying in the back of the car...or ...
back yard cattle dogs7/19/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: hey the other day we bought a cattle dog puppy, we we've read that they need lots of excersise, our ...
  A: I would rather that you speak to the vet re: fleas....but if she has been in the house at ...
cattle dog puppy obedience7/16/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: today we bought a new puppy called rassie we r worried she will become destructive when she is ...
  A: First make sure she has plenty to chew on.Remember that she is just a puppy...and is used to biting ...
Australian shepard & austrailian red heeler mix.6/22/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: We just got two femals & need some advice on how to train our puppys not to go to the bathroom ...
  A: I have to tell you that you should never get two puppies at one time. They are so much harder to ...
chasing autos6/11/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: We need help. We have a 4 month old blue heeler pup that is out of control! We have had 2 other blue ...
  A: I am sorry you are having problems...some heelers are "more independent" than others. Since heelers ...
aggressive behavior5/18/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: We have two ACD a blue male that is 5yrs old and a red female who is 2yrs old. They get along ...
  A: Sorry for the belated answer but we just returned from 4 days of dog shows. You are on the right ...
health5/1/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: We are the proud owners of 2 blues and 1 red heeler. We are having health issues with y 5 year old ...
  A: Sorry to be answering so late...but we have been out of town at dog shows for the past 4 days. The ...
Heeler Bully with other dogs4/23/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: .I am at wits end with my Heeler. He is 2 1/2 yr old male neutered..introduced to our pack when he ...
  A: This is a tough question to answer without seeing both the dog and his relationship with you. You ...
adopted 5 yr old red heeler shepherd mix4/13/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: He is affectionate and friendly. Not hyper. Great in every way, except he takes off running when ...
  A: This is a hard question to answer without knowing why he is running off. Because of his age and ...
How to stop nipping of human heels4/10/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: My very sweet red heeler (mix?) is a natural born heel nipper. What is the best way to get her to ...
  A: There is a very easy way to stop the nipping. Simply fill a spray bottle with half vinegar and half ...
At what age do red ACD ears come up?4/8/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: We just adopted a red ACD mix (or full breed; we're not sure) from a rescue group. She's presumed to ...
  A: If the ears are indeed "floppy", I doubt very much that they will come up......but it is possible. ...
Other than Red or Blue4/4/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: I am familiar with ACD as we have always had them. I prefer the Red. No real reason. I am not saying ...
  A: Sometimes we refer to red dogs with blue in their coats as "purple". It is an incorrect color....and ...
heeler puppy4/4/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: We recently got a heeler puppy that is about 31/2 months old. He are having a lot of difficulty ...
  A: It sounds like he has a bladder infection. He should not be urinating in his crate...as long as you ...
House Training a Red Heeler3/8/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: My red heeler is almost 4 years old and he is house broke but he has a bad habit of peeing on ...
  A: I need to know more info. Is this dog an intact male? Do you and your husband treat him ...
going crazy with an ACD2/13/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: I recently received a Heeler kelpie mix from one of my college professors and was wondering if you ...
  A: He is digging because he is bored. Both Kelpies and Cattle Dogs are working dogs and either need a ...
shy cattledog puppy1/21/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: I got a 12 weeks old ACD puppy from a farmer neighbour because it was exposed to cows by living in ...
  A: Socialization at an earlier age is critical...he should have been socialized properly and then sent ...
aussie heeler/black lab mix.1/3/2008Wendy Grudin
  Q: we have just adopted an ausie heeler/black lab mix. she is 3 months, and such a wonderful, ...
  A: First of all, please don't get another puppy till this one is trained...with adequste training, ...
ears11/4/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: We have a red heeler, after a nights sleep she shakes her head the first 15 minutes or so. We had ...
  A: I always recommend that when dogs are showing symptoms...and your local vet cannot find the ...
My red heeler and a goat10/17/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: I just recently took in a 2 yr old pygmee goat today. I have a red heeler (4 yrs old) that we've ...
  A: As you mentioned there is a strong instinct for the Heeler to chase the goat. Have you done any ...
Rescued ACD mix10/9/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: We just brought our 1 year old rescued ACD mix home and she is extremely shy. I've had shy dogs ...
  A: Patience, patience, and more patience! Thanks for telling me her age....as she is only one year ...
Panting....10/5/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: I have a 5 year old Red Heeler/German Shepherd mix and a 3 year old pure Blue Heeler that both pant ...
  A: Excessive panting can be caused from obesity, heart disease, lung disease or heartworm, ...
Australian cattle dog mix with collie8/18/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: I have found a 11 month old Australian cattle dog mixed with collie at the pound. I have a 4 year ...
  A: I think if you are trying to scare off Coyotes...it would be wiser to choose another breed.The ACD ...
Growth rate8/13/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: Wendy, My husband and I are thinking about adopting another Cattle Dog mix. One current dog (Jynx) ...
  A: We currently own a 7 month old male ACD puppy who weighs about 40 lbs. I estimate that upon maturity ...
Barking at a specific dog7/26/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: Wendy, I have had my ACD since she was a puppy. She is now almost 8, mellowing out, and very ...
  A: Our ACDs also hate Poms, and certain other breeds. Usually, breeds that emit fear are the ones that ...
house breaking/training7/10/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: I have a mixed breed ACD- she is almost 8 years old and half Jack Russell - She has a wonderful ...
  A: The first question for you that comes to mind is "Has a veterinarian checked her out?" There are ...
4 mo. old ACD tail chasing/biting/aggression6/16/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: my acd fem. pup chases and bites her tail, causing it to bleed. she is the "runt" of the litter, but ...
  A: Tail biting is not exactly rare in the breed...but it is an exasperating problem, which ...
will my new puppy jump fence when older6/2/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: i recently bought a new acd mix puppy. i have a four foot fence in my front yard. when my puppy ...
  A: It really depends on if there is an attraction on the other side of the fence. If the puppy is ...
buying an acd/border collie mix puppy6/2/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: i am considering buying an acd/border collie mix female puppy and am wondering how she will get ...
  A: I would need to know much more about the temperament of the older dog. Does she usually tolerate ...
Biting & barking3/31/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: Our pup is an Australian mix - a stray that we rescued. She is very affectionate 7-month old, just ...
  A: Actually your question is an easy one to answer!There is a simple way to stop biting without ...
Dangerous Drives2/22/2007Wendy Grudin
  Q: I recently adopted a 3 year old Australian cattle dog. Along with the dog came many strange habits. ...
  A: When evaluating canine behavior it is important to establish what type of work the breed was ...
heeler aggresive behavior12/1/2006Wendy Grudin
  Q: I have 2 female great Pyrenees [1] 3yrs [1] 6yrs, 2 heelers [1] female 4yrs [1] male 2yrs. All ...
  A: Even though it appears there is no reason for your dog to act this way...in her mind there is a ...
Goat herding11/18/2006Wendy Grudin
  Q: My 1 1/2 year old ACD loves to herd horses, cattle and goats. With larger animals he tends to get ...
  A: My expertise is more in the lines of conformation and obedience, but I will give you some ideas on ...

Page:    1 

Australian Cattle Dogs