Australian Shepherds/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
My Aussie-like dog2/27/2013Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I realize that you've answered questions on the supposed Mini Aussie (I say 'supposed' realizing ...
  A: I think that it's fine to say that your dog is a rescue, and has Aussie heritage, and leave it at ...
3 month old Australian shepherd weighs 27 pounds?2/17/2013Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: we just got a 3 month old Aussie, and she is already 27 pounds! is this normal?! or is she just ...
  A: If you wanted a carting dog, I would have suggested a Bernese Mountain Dog or a Newfoundland, not an ...
electric fences2/15/2013Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I see where you were asked a question about electric fences back in 2004. Your response was that at ...
  A: I absolutely do NOT recommend or use electric fencing. I do not think it's a "wonderful tool" and ...
pushy little aussie2/5/2013Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: Good morning! I have two dogs, a 4 year old beagle/boxer rescue, (male), and a 17 week old blue ...
  A: The question I would ask is whether, when you gently pull your Aussie away from the Boxer, what does ...
agreesive female aussie towards dogs11/11/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: We rescued a blue Merle Aussie in April of this year that was dropped off at the pound. I have ...
  A: This is a situation that should be addressed directly by a trainer who can work with you. On a ...
3 yr old female aussie herding/nipping children9/20/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have a 3 yr old red merle. She does nothing wrong,except she does not like children. We go to a ...
  A: Kathryn, I would also be VERY concerned about leaving your dog at any boot camp type training ...
Aggressive8/15/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: We are the 3rd one she was guit for a while then opened up. She is pretty agressive towards others ...
  A: If the dog is lunging then she should be contained away from the grandchildren. Do not risk a bite. ...
double merle issues8/5/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I was given a double merle sheltie female and told she was deaf. I understand why and I believe she ...
  A: If she's a new rescue, it may just be that she is fearful of her new surroundings and therefore ...
Aussie Sheppard6/13/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have been given a 3yr old female red merle that is not spade, she weights 8lbs and is in very good ...
  A: No, it's not OK, UNLESS you can be sure the pup doesn't come from a puppy mill herself (chances are ...
Aggressive 2 yr old aussi6/12/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: My 2 yr old aussi shep. has become very aggressive towards other male dogs. This is what I've ...
  A: There's no such thing as an alpha male - I know, you've heard the term a lot, but the man who coined ...
How do I keep my Border Collie happy?6/11/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have a 5-7 year old Border Collie girl named Kristy, and my mom and dad had a new 1 month old ...
  A: I'm so glad you want to keep your dog happy and occupied with things that she likes to do. Texas is ...
Aussie Size6/3/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: We have a 9 week old Aussie/corgi mix who weighs 6 lbs. Will he be considered a mini? Or could the ...
  A: To be honest, unless you have seen both parents, even a description by a shelter doesn't always ...
What to do after one of my two Aussies dies3/10/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: A little over a month ago I had to put one of my 2 Aussies to sleep. He was almost thirteen years ...
  A: After a few weeks, if your dog bounces back and seems none the worse for wear, you might want to ...
Behaviour1/4/2012Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have a 5 year old male Aussie. Recently I acquired another dog that is requiring alot of my ...
  A: What gender, age, and breed is the other dog? What is the other dog's socialization history? When ...
Aussie Puppy11/4/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I am new to the aussie breed, but not dogs. I have owned and trained many dogs in my life, and ...
  A: That sometimes happens when a pup is brought into a home with another dog. If you think about it ...
Australian Shepherd HELP9/11/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: We have had our female since she was a puppy she is now 4 years old. This has been the BEST dog ...
  A: I have no way of knowing, but generally speaking, herding breeds are not as likely as other breeds ...
chewing8/21/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: my husband is in the army and we were living in Washington state fore about 4 months of my dogs ...
  A: The dog is nervous in the new environment, especially being left with "strangers" for the first time ...
10 month old Aussie - bit our neighbor5/3/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I've been reading through your site and seeing some common themes. I'm sad to report we had a ...
  A: When you say "correction collar" I'm not sure I know what you mean. Slip (choke) collar, prong ...
Aussie puppy bitting4/25/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: My cousin purchased 2 Aussie brother and sister puppies from a pet store. We are very close and ...
  A: IMMEDIATELY, your cousin should take those puppies to puppy class, in separate classes and with a ...
Small animal kills3/14/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: My aussie is very territorial. She has killed a cat, possum, rabbit, groundhogs, birds, mice, moles ...
  A: Dogs do know their own species if they have been at all socialized, such as in puppy class, but some ...
Australian Shepherd2/16/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I adpoted a 4 year old Australian Shepherd and he is great. How low can the outside temperture get ...
  A: I don't agree with putting a dog outside in a pen all day, if that's what you mean. Aussies are ...
Dog nipping2/12/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: The event usually plays out like this: she see's someone, she then has the need to say hi, she ...
  A: Stop correcting her! If she is nipping out of fear, this won't help, and may make matters worse. I ...
mini aussies as a running partner?1/12/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: We currently have a 12yr old lab who is very sweet and extremely laid back. I am looking for my new ...
  A: Aussies are a very athletic breed, but are not for everyone. If you are used to the laid back Lab, ...
giardia1/8/2011Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: My 5 1/2 month miniature Australian shepherd has had Guardia since her 2nd worming at nine weeks--a ...
  A: Yes, it is true, but it can also be brought in to the yard or home on your shoes and boots. It's ...
Aussie recent agression11/17/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have a 10 month old male neutered Aussie who has always been friendly. We take him camping with us ...
  A: My suggestion is that you get an appointment with a behavior professional who can instruct you in ...
Stray puppy11/9/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: My son brought home a puppy from the woods. I took the puppy to the vet this morning and found out ...
  A: I think if you have the resources to take the pup to classes, and you keep up with his socialization ...
minature australian shepard puppy9/26/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I am thinking about buying a new puppy. He is in a small pet shop in my area. I trust these people. ...
  A: Never buy a puppy from a pet store!!!!!! You may trust them, but almost all pet shop puppies come ...
training age9/23/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have an aussie puppy that is 4 months and 3 weeks old. I lost both of my aussies (brother and ...
  A: I don't think you are doing too much. These dogs love to work! As long as you are not stressing ...
Bee sting?9/21/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: My 1 1/2 yr. old Aussie had a sudden episode a few weeks ago - ears back, frothing/drooling, slight ...
  A: Idiopathic epilepsy runs in Australian Shepherds, as does hypothyroidism, both of which can cause ...
aussies9/20/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: do you show or work ur dogs i've worked cattle all my life with aussies all those test you people ...
  A: I don't have any idea why you seem so upset with me. My Aussie comes from working lines (Pincie ...
Yellow Coat?9/18/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have a australian shepherd but she isn't your normal everyday color. She is yellow, now I have ...
  A: It is possible to have a yellow Aussie. Here's some information on them: ...
nipping8/27/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: we have a loverly 1 yr old Aussie - Max. Sometimes when he's around kids (ours and others)and the ...
  A: You need to train the dog and the kids together:-) Firstly, the children should not be permitted to ...
Grooming8/23/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: 2 days ago, we took our red merle to a groomer. I did not want him shaved becuase I don't like the ...
  A: Dandruff, dry hair, and dirt is not usually an excuse to shave a dog unless the dog had parasites or ...
Sensitive to sound8/20/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: My aussie is EXTREMELY sensitive to abrupt noises. Especially popping sounds - i.e. fireworks, ...
  A: It's not uncommon in a lot of breeds, including Aussies. There is a very good article on noise ...
biting7/24/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: Overall my Aussie is a wonderful dog however when i was cleaning some dog biscuits that fell on the ...
  A: Time out is an appropriate punishment for children, but rarely for dogs. They simply don't make the ...
Barking7/20/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have an Australian Shepherd and he hates strangers. On walks, we've trained him not to bark or ...
  A: If you read the Australian Shepherd breed standard, it does say that they are dogs with "strong ...
Rogue, Tebow And Bam bam7/17/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have 2 Aussie healer mixes that we adopted,they were dropped on the side of the road in the same ...
  A: Without seeing this, I have no idea which dog is really starting the problem, because it isn't ...
Pattern Whites7/16/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: We bred our blue merle female to a male black tri, who has a great bloodline. Niether of them have ...
  A: Well, not knowing the dogs, that's difficult to answer. Although most pattern whites come from ...
my dog barks constantly while playing.7/13/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: She is a australian shepherd/labrador. She is a wonderful dog other than her constant barking while ...
  A: One helpful thing you can do is NOT to bark back:-) So, avoid telling her to be quiet! Until you ...
weight of an aussie7/11/2010Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT
  Q: I have a female australian shephard that weighs 19 pounds. I took her to the vet and she wants to do ...
  A: Yes, I do think you should follow up with that. Aussies do have a wide range of sizes and weights, ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7   |  Next       All

Australian Shepherds

Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT

Top Expert on this page