Autism/my daughter has just been diagnosed with autism

Hi Celtica,

I hope you are feeling better.  I am very interested in your story and would really like to her from you.

My daughter is seven years old today.  She smells everything she comes into contact with and her favourite color is blue.  She loves animals, insects and biology.  She does not like to interact with children her age and does not play with her peers unlessed told to.  She enjoys adults and factual things.  She reads extremely well and loves myself and her mother very much.  

I want to make sure she has a happy life and pursues her interests, where ever they lead her.  I am worried that society will presure her to try a be societies "normal" instead of her normal.  I want her to be able to be happy as who she is and where that is going to lead her.  I want education for her without the pressure to fit in.

Can you please tell me about yourself, your childhood, your experiences with society as you have seen it?  (Advise on how I should go forward with my daughter and how to protect her from possible negative consequences in future decisions regarding her.)

Thank you for your time,

I just wanted to say it may take me some time to answer your question. I'll try to answer as soon as possible.

all the best

Hello Dave

Sorry for not coming back to you sooner!
First of all I really appreciate you don't want to change her but support her to become a happy adult with autism !
School and puberty (on top of my autism I developed a bad case of ocd during puberty) has been the worst time for me in my entire life so far, so she'll likely need your support most during that time. Maybe even getting a classroom aide could be an option if she will go to mainstream school. What has been the best thing ever for me is getting to meet others like me. It finally made me feel 'normal' and understood. I don't know if that is an option where you are.
Do not make decisions about her future without asking her if this is what she wants.
I'm sorry I can't think of much more right now. Feel free to ask more questions.

Hope that helps

Please note I am not a healthcare professional or a doctor.
I cannot provide a diagnosis or give any medical advice.
Therefore I cannot answer questions like "is my child autistic ?" other than by telling you to go and see a specialist

Please be aware that if you are in the US it will usually take at least 24 hours until I can answer your question, as I'm in Europe and don't have access to my email during the day. I also cannot answer questions concerning the US educational or law system (other than by looking up things on google, but that's probably not the expertise you need), as I'm not in the US.

Please also be aware that I'm a person with autism. My answers may sometimes be very blunt and direct and I may tell you things you won't like to hear. Diplomacy is certainly not among my talents. I'm never being rude on purpose, and I always try not to hurt or offend people, but it has happened before and may happen again. It's NEVER on purpose. I just want to help.

What I *can* do for you is gather information on any aspect of autism and therapy of autism you're interested in and give you my personal oppinion about it (if you want to hear it) or, if it applies, tell you about my personal experience. I can answer all questions about what life is like for an autistic person.

I can also answer questions asked in German or French (but will have to answer in English to questions asked in French as my French is a bit rusty).

Ich beantworte gerne auch Fragen auf Deutsch.

Vous pouvez poser des questions en Francais, si cela ne vous dérange pas que je responds en anglais.

As I'm not doing well right now and am not in the shape of answering questions well - I recieved a few low ratings lately - I'll take a break from AllExperts for the next few weeks/until I'm doing better

I am an adult diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome/High Functioning Autism and ADD.

In the past years I have also read a lot about autism and its comorbid conditions and related subjects (as I am experiencing symptoms of most of these or know others who do) , so I have accumulated a lot of layman knowledge in this area (AD(H)D, Tourette's Syndrome, OCD, sleep disorders, allergies, sensory integration dysfunction, learning difficulties, left/right-brain, giftedness, Irlen Syndrome, prism glasses, executive dysfunction (aka. "inertia"), "special" diets).

None in the field of autism, apart from being autistic myself !