Autism/Social Skills

Jene, do serious social difficulties, absent special interests and other symptoms of autism or other learning disabilities, mean that a 10 year old boy is on the spectrum?

Hi there,

Those things do not mean that someone has autism, but they are red flags for autism.  Basically, when red flags are observed its recommended that someone get a full evaluation.  This way, if they do need services of any kind, they can receive help for challenges and difficulties.

There are many people with sensory challenges, special interests, learning delays, speech delays and social difficulties who do not have autism.  It all depends on how many of the criteria one meets, and how severely they are afflicted with the associated characteristics of autism.  Typically, people with autism have a number of these characteristics to a pervasive degree, in other words, it affects and impedes their daily functioning.

Your question gave very little info, and therefore I hope my response has given what you were looking for.

Wishing you all the best.

Jené Aviram

Jene Aviram

How do you know if your child has autism? If you're concerned about your child's behavior and would like to know if they're symptoms of autism, I can help you. If you need behavior and parenting strategies, I have many suggestions and ideas to help you. I can also help you with questions on ABA therapy. I cannot answer biomedical questions.

I am one of the co-founders of Natural Learning Concepts, a manufacturing company for autism and special education materials. I am an author and writer and my work on the autism spectrum is frequently published by many organizations and renowned magazines. My son has Aspergers and my nephew has autism.

Autism/Aspergers Digest Autism Society of America Autism Today Issue Spirit Magazine The Autism Perspective Magazine Yahoo News Parenting Magazine

My original background and education is computer network engineering. A turn of events led me to switch careers in early 2000 when my passion and driving force became helping people on the autism spectrum. I then co-founded a successful company that helps people on the autism spectrum every day.