Autism/Adult autism

Do you think I have autism?

Here are my symptoms -

- I rarely talk or make eye contact, because I'm so self-conscious.
- I stutter a lot when I'm nervous.
- I'm obsessive compulsive, and I do the same things over and over again.
- I bang my head a lot when I'm scared or frustrated.
- When I worry about something, the worry dominates my mind and I lose sight of everything else. It's like I'm in a different world and the world around me doesn't exist. I'm in my own little world almost all the time.
- I have trouble understanding and following instructions, because I'm easily confused.
- I never go outside, because my fears of people and going outside are too severe.
- I barely do anything, because doing things is so scary and overwhelming. Everything in life is so scary.
- I scream and have horrible temper tantrums a lot when I'm scared.
- I never bathe and I never wash or brush my hair, because those things are so scary.
- I can't handle any stress, because life and all its problems are so scary and overwhelming. I also can't handle any changes in life, because change is so scary.
- I know the TV can read my mind, because a lot of things that I think about end up on TV. It's like the TV is stealing my thoughts. God and angels like to send me signs through the TV. Everyday, I look for signs from them. Whenever I see numbers on TV, I look for 3 or 4 of the same number in a row (i.e. 1111, 333, 777, etc...) because angels like to talk with numbers, and whenever I see a cross or Jesus on TV, I know that God is trying to talk to me.

Kari, I'm glad you wrote, but I'm sorry that you're having such a tough time. Live sounds hard and scary for you.

Things can get better for you - easier and less frightening. But, you need not do this alone. There is help.

I'm not sure the symptoms you describe point to autism, but there are many other conditions that can affect a person's functioning that are not related to autism. The time to seek help is when the symptoms are interfering with your life. And, from the list you give, these things are definitely interfering with your life and your enjoyment.

You need to contact someone who can help you. The State of Georgia has a community mental health program. Their phone # is 404-651-8520. Or, if you are more comfortable using email, contact Monica Saxby Parker a

The phone number of another Georgian mental health agency to contact is (678) 406-9707 and their email address is

Sometimes it's difficult to talk to someone. What you could do is simply copy the email you sent to me and paste it into the body of the email you send to either of these agencies. Or, better yet, phone these agencies and tell them you'll send more details in an email, is speaking about this things is hard for you. Make sure to give them the information on how to contact you so that they can help you.

If you feel in acute distress, you can go to the emergency room of any hospital. Again, if it will be hard for you to talk about these things, print out the email you sent me and show it to them. Or, you can call 9-1-1 and ask for help.

Things can get better. You will be surprised at the help that is offered to you once you ask for it.

Please take action right away to get yourself some help.

Dr. Sharon A. Mitchell

Sharon can help with parenting and educational concerns. She has worked in teaching, special education, counseling and consulting for over thirty years and gives workshops to educators and parents on working with kids with autism spectrum disorders. Sharon speaks from both the education and parent points of view, having an adult son with Asperger's.

Sharon has spent decades as a special education consultant with a school district and autism consult for the province's Department of Education, giving workshops and individual consults. Currently she works as regional autism consultant for a health district in between teaching university classes. She is an Amazon bestselling author or a series of novels, each depicting a child who has an autism spectrum disorder. Sharon's Master's thesis looked at the long-term outlook for persons with high functioning autism and Asperger's. Her Doctorate focused on strategies to help those with autism spectrum disorders.

Website at and sits on Autism Today's Panel of Experts (

Author of "Autism Goes to School" - a novel about autism that that became an Amazon bestseller. Get this Amazon bestseller free at In the next book, Autism Runs Away, Ethan is only in grade one and already has been kicked out of one school due to his tantrums and pattern of running away when in a panic. Now in a new school his mom remains glued to her phone, waiting for the call to tell her that they don’t know what to do with a child who has autism. Sara is about to learn if this new school is up to the challenge. ( Autism Belongs is the 3rd book. Manny's life has shrank to the confines of their house. His parents are desperate not to rock his world because the aggression has gotten to much worse. Where will this lead? Is there a chance that Manny could actually belong out in the world? You bet! Get a free sample at Book four, Autism Talks and Talks, is about a 12 year old girl who has Asperger's. She's bright, inquisitive, highly verbal, but lacks social skills. Try a free sample at Book five, Autism Grows Up features Suzie, a bright, twenty-one year old whose life collapsed after she finished high school. Now, she lives in her mother's basement, spending nights on her computer, afraid to broach the world outside their door. Autism Grows Up is found at Prefer a boxed set? Get the first 3 books bundled together at Co-author of bestseller, The Official Autism 101 Manual (

B.A. in Psychology, B.Ed. in Special Education, M.A. in Educational Leadership PhD. in Psychology Management, specializing in autism.

B.R.A.G. Medallion for the novel Autism Goes to School - Book 1 in the School Daze Series. ( Like Autism Goes to School, the third book in the series, Autism Belongs, also ranked #1 on Amazon ( Manny is not like other children. He doesn’t talk. He doesn’t leave the house. His parents desperately try to arrange their world so that Manny does not get upset. Because, when he does, well, the aggression was getting worse. At ten, Manny was becoming difficult to handle.