Auto Glass/2000 Bravada Driver Window

Question
My driver side window goes down without problems.  When I press the switch to close it - it goes up an inch and stops.  If I try again immediately - nothing.  If I wait 30 sec - it will go up another inch or two and stop.  If I wait another 30 sec or so it either goes the rest of the way or just an inch or two.  I would think a wiring short - but wouldn't it stick going down if that were the problem?  Same goes for the regulator.  Wouldn't the window stop on the way down if the regulator were worn?  I am no mechanic, but would attempt to swap a swich, wiring, or maybe the motor if I felt comfortable.  The vehicle is a 2000 Bravada.

Answer
Hi Randy,

The problem you describe is due to a failing window motor.  

It goes down fine because gravity is helping the motor lower the window.

It won't go up very far because the motor is doing a lot more work and overloads.  If you wait a bit the overload resets and then the motor works for a couple more inches, etc.

If you are curious to know what the motor and window regulator look like you can go to "dormanproducts.com" and enter part numbers 740-844 (regulator) and 742-143 (motor).

Since you are "no mechanic" I suggest that you not attempt to replace the motor yourself.  The mechanism is riveted into the door and takes some job specific knowledge and uncommon tools to do it properly.

Feel free to send a follow up if you have any other questions.

Ben .... the power window guy  

Auto Glass

Ben Menard