Auto Glass/2003 mustang gt power windows

I get a clicking noise when I depress the power windows switch for drivers and passenger side, but the back windows work fine.  I replaced the 20A CB in the fuse box but still have the same problem.  It seems odd that both motors could have gone bad at the same time.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Hello Rory,

The clicking sound is the relay pulling in.  That means that the switch is probably working.

So, I suspect that the window motors are probably "locked up".  Try the following test to confirm my suspicion.

Sit in the driver seat, start the engine, open the door.  With your right hand press and hold the window button to lower the glass - while holding the button, shut the door firmly with your left hand.  Shutting the door while applying power to the motor often gives the motor a little "nudge" and it will start working again.

If this works, the motors may eventually lock up again.  If so, you should consider replacing them when you have the time and or money.

If my little trick doesn't work you'll need to go to a mechanic who is comfortable working on power windows to determine the exact cause before going any further with a replacement.

Feel free to send a follow up question if  I can help in any other way.

Auto Glass

Ben Menard

I am interested in answering questions regarding power window problems. Most typically those inquires will involve problems with window regulators, window motors, and window switches.

I have been repairing window problems full time for over eleven years. I have repaired most all types of problems on the majority of domestic and import vehicles newer than 1988.

Better Business Bureau

The only education available in this field - the school of hard knocks!