Auto Glass/power windows

Question
hello. we have a 97 grand am GT. we bought it used and soon found out the passenger side window was not working like it should. at first it started going down very slow then not at all. the a month later the drivers side window started doing the same thing. if we try to raise or lower it we have to wait a few minutes and then it only moves maybe a quarter of an inch at a time then were stuck waiting again. any ideas you have would be great my wife is melting in her car so please point me in the right direction. best regards.
Lloyd W.

Answer
Hello Lloyd,

The power window motors have failed and must be replaced before the windows will work again.  This is a very common problem on the 1992 to 1997 Pontiac Grand Am when they reach this age.  Unless you have a lot of mechanical skill and the proper tools, replacing these motors is not a job I would recommend to a do-it-yourselfer.  I think you should find someone with power window experience to do the job for you.

Feel free to send a follow up question if there is anything else I can do to help.

Auto Glass

Ben Menard