Auto Glass/1997 Crown Vic

Hi Ben, I have a 1997 Crown Vic. The problem is that the front power windows will go down and when attempting to raise I hear the motor spinning with little up motion of the windows. My question is should I attempt to replace as a whole unit(motor, regulator) or possible part repair? After reading your other posts it seems as if the plastic gears may be bad. Would you agree and what about replacing as a total unit or repair only the bad parts?

Hi John,

From a cost point of view replacing the gear cushions is much less expensive.  However, neither option is a simple job for someone who has never made the repair before.  The details of each repair are too difficult to describe in an email.  If you like, you can call me on my cell at 402-208-0004 and I will discuss both options with you.  

Auto Glass

Ben Menard

I am interested in answering questions regarding power window problems. Most typically those inquires will involve problems with window regulators, window motors, and window switches.

I have been repairing window problems full time for over eleven years. I have repaired most all types of problems on the majority of domestic and import vehicles newer than 1988.

Better Business Bureau

The only education available in this field - the school of hard knocks!