Auto Insurance Claims/Pain & Suffering Settlement

Question
We were involved in an accident while in Ohio for my nephew's wedding. We live in NJ. We were struck from behind by a driver under the influence who is also uninsured. My daughter's both were taken to the hospital by ambulance and checked out. Fortunately, both are OK. My wife saw a doctor and had x-rays of here shoulder from the seat belt trauma the following week.
I have uninsured coverage.
They have made an offer of $3000 for pain and suffering, $1000 ea for my wife and daughters.
Medical bills totaled around $2500 (and I have $1000 deductible). My wife lost a day's wages and I wasted a day of vacation. These two are worth another $900 or so.
Is their offer of $3000 reasonable?

Answer
I think it is reasonable, but a bit on the low side.  They probably assigned a range of value and $3000 was probably the low end of the range.  If you negotiate and are patient, you could probably get another $1000-$2000 out of them.

This is assuming your wife has fully recovered.  If she still needs medical care, you should not settle her claim at this time.

You should also ask if they will pay the lost wages and medical bills under your PIP coverage.  (this varies by state).

Auto Insurance Claims

Claims Guy