Auto Insurance Claims/Accident with expired license

Question
This morning I struck a deer on the highway. My license expired just 5 days ago. I went to tthe county PD and filled out a report. The PO was very nice in not issuing me a ticket. As this is Thanksgiving today I will go to the NYS DMV first thing tomorrow morning and get it renewed. Will my insurance company pay for my car damages or am I in for a fight? No other vehicles were involved. Thank you.

Answer
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

It's important that you understand I am not an attorney, and cannot and do not provide legal advice. With that said, I offer the following:

I would suggest you first review your policy under "conditions" and other similar provisions. I don't believe you will find that having a valid license may be one of them and thus the policy would be in affect. Your situation is likely not uncommon...I recently learned my license had expired!

Secondly, unless specifically asked, I would not volunteer the information regarding your license to the insurer. If the police did not cite you, and because your license did not contribute to the loss, it's unlikely it will be listed on the the police report or the insurer will be notified.

If it were I; I would get my license renewed and then call the insurer to report the claim. Should the insurer ask about the status of your license, be honest and inform them that it was expired but you had it renewed.

A word of caution: Be sure to select a repair that serves you in a proper and thorough repair of your vehicle. I strongly discourage you from taking your vehicle to a repairer the insurer suggests for reasons that should be obvious.

Thank you for the question, sorry for the accident and I hope all turns out well!

Auto Insurance Claims

Barrett Smith