Auto Insurance Claims/Engine damage due to animal

Hi, my sister had a auto claim denied for mechanical failure. The original cause of engine damage was due to an animal getting lodged in serpentine belt. 5100 later she had to take a personal loan to get car fixed. Car dealer who did complete engine overhaul stated no evidence or abuse or lack of maintenance. Can she have her claim re-opened?

Hi Steve,

Apologies for the delay.  I would suggest she have her mechanic contact the auto damage adjuster who originally inspected the damage.  Failing that, they should reach out to the auto damage adjuster's supervisor, and request a re-inspection or re-evaluation of whatever evidence she and/or the mechanic saved or has.

While I have never heard of an animal getting lodged into a serpentine belt, I would imagine that the result would leave clear and obvious animal detrius behind that should be self-evident to an adjuster...

Good luck!

Auto Insurance Claims

Liability Claims Adjuster

I can answer: - Questions about application of comparative negligence in complex auto liability claims - Questions about first party coverages - Questions about property damage claims - Questions about the auto claim process, in general I cannot answer, at this time: - Bodily injury settlement questions - Total loss evaluation questions - Questions pertaining to a particular insurer

I have been a liability claims adjuster for over 5 years, investigating, negotiating and settling nearly every imaginable auto liability claim (including theft). However, I am not a bodily injury adjuster. Additionally, I am a certified Arbitrator for the industry's Arbitration Forums (, of which 100% of all "name-brand" insurers are members, and of which a large portion of non-name-brand insurers also are members. I work for one of the Big Three insurance companies in the US. I am licensed to adjucate and settle claims in Connecticut, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont, and also adjucate and settle claims in Maine and New Jersey (which do not require licensing).

Arbitration Forums, Inc.

B.A., Political Science (The Colorado College, 1994)