Auto Insurance Claims/Production of medical documents

Filed UIM claim.  They want me to sign release for my absolute complete medical history (my injury was to back & I have pre-existing back and I agreed to give them that information) but they want all medicals including HIV, etc.  Accident in Washington, all residents of Washington.  Am I required to provide them a blanket release for medicals?

In filing your claim against your insurer for Un-Insured Motorist coverage, you in a sense, by contract, become a claimant against your own insurer and they then take the position of defending their company from excessive payment and future liabilities just as if they were the at-fault party's insurer (those who caused your damages).

While you have a contractual duty to cooperate fully with your insurer, and provide them the necessary information for them to conduct their investigation, you are not obligated to provide information which is unrelated to their investigation or of which may be considered burdensome and oppressive.

Because I am not an attorney, I cannot and do not provide legal advice and with that said, I would encourage you to seek legal counsel familiar with such issues and claims. They will be able to assist you with your claim in likely a greater recovery for you and be able to defend against unnecessary and abusive discovery.

Thank you for your question and I hope this helps!

Auto Insurance Claims

Barrett Smith

Auto Claim and Collision Repair issues including quality and thoroughness of repair, Diminished Value, Total Loss settlement valuation, Appraisal Clause matters, Expert Testimony, pre-purchase inspections and others. While having been a Senior Claims Adjuster, I am not licensed to practice law and cannot provide legal counsel. I will provide replies as friendly and informal advice based upon my experiences and those of our clients as possible. For more information on our offerings please visit For more informatin on our offerings please visit

I grew up working in a family owned auto body repair business my father owned and operated in Alaska and after leaving the US Air Force I started my own repair facility in Florida. I later became a senior claims adjuster for a national auto insurer and later managed two GM dealership collision centers. I started another shop which was recognized as a "Top Shop" in central Florida for over 15 years winning numerous local accolades and awards such as Business of the Year. In 2001 I developed Auto Damage Experts to provide its services nation wide and to all segments illustrating balance and equity for all ADE clients. For more information please visit

ASA (Automotive Service Association), SCRS, CCRE and others... For more information please request CV or visit

Local and national publications including but not limited to Auto Body Repair News (ABRN), Body Shop Business (BSB) and others. For more information please request CV or visit

ASE Master Certified in collision repair/refinishing including damage diagnosis and estimating. Please request CV or visit

As a quality Collision Repair facility owner, we received Top shop, Small Business of the year and other awards and accolades. Please request CV for additional information in this regard.

ADE provides services to all segments including Legal professionals, Consumers, Auto Dealers, Insurers, Governmental and judicial entities. For more information please request CV or visit