Auto Insurance Claims/Question on a denial

Hi I found out my claim was denied by the other parties Insurance company, and when I acctually spoke to the underage kids mom who was at fault in the accident caused to my car , she told me the insurance never called her to get her side of the story. She said her son took her car with out her permission. And the insurance denied my claim because they said he is not on his mothers policy, he is only 17 yrs age and has no drivers licence, what can I do next. Will my insurance pay if I only have liabilty with uninsured motorist, but my dad who was driving it and was not at fault and is not on my policy either, should I do.

Hi Melissa,

This situation can be somewhat complicated, but I will try to explain the best I can.

The 17 year old unlicensed son of the at-fault person should be covered at least for liability for the damage he caused to you, even if he took the vehicle without permission. The only way they can deny coverage for non-permissive use is if the mother presses charges against her son for stealing the car. You need to call their insurance company and demand to speak to a claims manager. Moving higher on the food chain may get you to intelligent life. The mother is still responsible for the actions of her minor son.If that fails, you should file a complaint with your state insurance commissioners office.

As for your insurance, they will not pay for the repairs to your car regardless of who was driving since you only have liability coverage. It is only collision coverage or what is referred to as physical damage coverage that would pay to repair your car regardless of who is at fault.

I hope this helps
Richard Hixenbaugh  

Auto Insurance Claims

Richard Hixenbaugh

Auto insurance claims procedure, auto coverage, liability issues, auto damage questions, how to deal with the insurance company, loss of use and diminished value.

I have been involved in the insurance industry for over 25 years. I have experience in underwriting, sales, claims adjusting, auto damage estimating, auto value appraising and diminished value appraising. I have testified as an expert witness over 35 times.

Society of Certified Auto Appraisers

Completed all required courses for the Florida Property-Casualty agents license and the Florida claims adjusters license. I have attended various courses on auto damage estmating, vehicle appraising and am ASE certified in collision damage analysis.

My company has done work for consumers nationwide.