Auto Insurance Claims/requirement of irrelevant documents

Question
QUESTION: Sir, My bike was stolen on 9 october, 2011 from my residence and all the formalities have been completed. I want to inform you that one day before when the theft occured i.e on 8.10.2011, my friend drove the bike as i told him drop me to the nearest taxi stand as i was getting late for joining my duty and and i told him to keep the bike at my residence after returning and to hand over the keys at my home and so he did. Now the insurance company is asking my friend's driving license which he did not possessed at that point of time. I know i allowed an authorised person to ride my bike and i am liable to be fined and i am also ready to be fined, but the insurance company told me that my claim cannot be finalised as driving license is required. Sir please tell me that is license mandatory for claiming insurance when theft occurs from residence as the main fact is that my bike was stolen which is casualty loss and the reason of theft is not because my friend drove the bike. Sir I don't find the circumstances extraordinary and also there is no negligence.

ANSWER: Hello,

I woud like to tell you would like to tell you what you would like to here with your logic,  but what you feel is right does not matter. The insurance company calls all the shots because they decide what they will do.
Of they feel that you put them under an extra risk by letting a
unlicensed driver drive the bike last, it does not matter if you pay the fine or not,
You put them in a unknown risk.
Please realize I commonly side with insureds, but here they can deny and there is nothing you you will be able to do about it. I see no place you that you could win by suing
.., you knowingly let an unlicensed driver drive the bike.

QUESTION: Sir, I would like to inform you that the circumstances were such that I was not cautious about searching someone who possessed driving license a s I was getting late for joining my duty and I had to ask someone to drop me to the nearest taxi stand.

Answer
Hello,

It appears as if you are attempting to get me to support your argument, but you need to realize that what I think here has nothing to do with the issue at hand. The carrier wrote their own policy in which you signed, using whatever rules they decide to use. If they want to deny on the basis you had a unlicensed driver drive the bike before the theft, they can do that. They are the people with the claims money and they set the rules as they go. Anything you or I argue means nothing and that is why there are lawyers.

Whether or not you were cautious as to who drove the bike is nothing I can opine to and if the carrier does not want to cover the loss, I don't see much you can do about it, whether the decision is right or wrong.

http://www.autotheftexpert.com

Auto Insurance Claims

Rob Painter, Ase, CFEI, CAFATE